By Ami Zarichnak
Yield: 8 Potatoes heaped high!
6 large Idaho potatoes
½ cup butter, separated into ¼ cup portions
½ small onion, chopped (can substitute four green onions)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup plus 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt or to taste
1) Preheat your oven to 400. Wash and dry potatoes. Prick all over with a fork. Coat potatoes in butter and roll in
flaked sea salt (optional). Bake until skins crisp up and potatoes feel soft inside when pricked with a fork, approx-
imately one hour.
2) While potatoes are cooking, saute onions in the butter over medium heat until they begin to get soft. Turn flame to
medium-low, then add garlic and cook, stirring often so garlic doesn’t not burn. When the garlic is softened but still
fragrant, place in a medium-sized bowl.
3) Add the sour cream, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, and salt to the bowl.
4) When the potatoes are done, turn the oven down to 350 degrees. Let the potatoes cool just slightly, and cut them in
half longwise into two halves . Scoop out the potatoes, adding the hot potatoes to the butter, onions, garlic, sour
cream, cheese, and salt mixture. The hot potatoes will melt the cheese so it be evenly distributed throughout potato
mixture. Do not overmix or potatoes will become gluey. Adjust salt and sour cream flavors to taste.
5) Distribute potato filling evenly among potato shells. Sprinkle with the last ¼ cup of cheese.
6) Bake at 350 until hot, approximately 20 minutes. Potatoes should be lightly browned on top when done.