Summer provides an abundant amount of vegetables that create an opportunity to make healthy and delicious recipes! The chicken and vegetable bundles here were created with that in mind. Grow your garden, shop your farmer’s market, and make your bundles personal with your favorite fillings! What could be better than creating meals with our locally grown vegetables. How fortunate we are living in the Hudson Valley surrounded with fresh and abundant summer produce. In-season vegetables always taste better
Chicken and Vegetable Bundles
2 large chicken breasts
1 ¼ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ teaspoon pepper
1 ½ tablespoon Mrs. Dash seasoning blend
2 large yellow squash
4 large carrots
1 onion, sliced
2 cups cooked spinach
1 cup roasted red peppers, sliced
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Small bundle fresh chives
3 cups good quality spaghetti sauce
(Makes about 10 bundles)
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces, season with ¼ teaspoon salt, pepper and ½ tablespoon season mix.
- Grill chicken on medium high in grilling pan until just underdone.
- Carefully cut squash in length wise strips on mandolin, thick enough to hold stuffing and slice carrots in very thin strips.
- In a sauté pan, sauté onions until softened.
- Steam squash and carrots in vegetable steamer until soft.
Place 2 squash strips at a time crisscross on work surface overlapping in center.
Place two carrot slices on each and evenly top with chicken, spinach, onions and red peppers. Sprinkle with parsley and the remaining salt, pepper and seasoning mix.
Fold the squash sides up to wrap filling and tie each with a chive.
Steam bundles until vegetables are soft, filling is hot and chicken is cooked through (about 7 minutes)
Heat sauce and poor on a serving platter. Place bundles on top and serve. Enjoy!